Saturday, April 30, 2011

Book Review: Unlocked



               (Photo Credit)
I wiped yet another tear from my cheek as I read the last page of Unlocked. Moma cast a glance at me from the driver's seat.
     "Are you crying?" she asked in a somewhat laughing tone.
     "Yes!" I exclaimed through my tears.
     "Again?!" Grayson exclaimed from the back seat.
     "Yes, again," I replied, "I can't help it, this book is so bittersweet! I think it my second favorite or maybe tied for favorite Karen Kingsbury book!"

The above is a true story, and yes I cried multiple times during this book! I even shed a few tears while reading this book in the restaurant. I was wearing a sun hat and tried to kinda hide behind it, but Moma saw me. LOL.

I really don't want to give too much of this book away, so I'll share to summary of it that is on the inside cover.

"Holden Harris is and eighteen-year-old locked in a prison of autism. Despite his quiet ways and quirky behaviors, Holden is very happy and socially normal--on the inside, in a private world all his own. In reality, he is bullied at school by kids who only see that he is very different.
"Ella Reynolds is part of the 'in' crowd. A cheerleader and star of the high school drama production, her life seems perfect. When she catches Holden listening to her rehearse for the school play, she is drawn to him ... in the way he is drawn to the music. Then Ella makes a dramatic discovery--she and Holden were best friends as children.
"Frustrated by the way Holden is bullied, and horrified at the indifference of her peers, Ella decides to take a stand against the most privileged and popular kids at school. Including her boyfriend, Jake.
"Ella believes miracles can happen in the unlikeliest places, and hat just maybe an entire community might celebrate from the sidelines. But will Holden's praying mother and the efforts of Ella and a cast of theater kids be enough to unlock the prison that contains Holden?
"This time, friendship, faith, and the power of a song must be strong enough to open the doors to the miracle Holden needs."
This book touched me to the core! Find out more about Karen Kingsbury on her website (there's a link on the sidebar). I think everyone should read Unlocked!

2 comments:

  1. I so, so, so agree with you! This book made me cry, especially at the end when I read that Karen got the idea from a kid in her children's drama class! Cool things happen in every day life, no?
    =)

    Kristina J.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly! I think if we all would take the time to listen to everybody's story, we'd find out that real life is an adventure! The fact that a real life even inspired this book makes me love it even more!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...